View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #19
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
So am I a fool for not wanting to buy the iPad now?

I REALLY want an iPad. The big problem for me is that it costs too much for so little space. I can buy a $1,200 MacBook Pro with a 500GB hard drive, yet to buy an iPad with 64GB and 4G LTE, it costs me $830.

Another thing is that the iPads are released TWO months before the next iOS version is announced. So if you bought the original iPad, you got 8 weeks worth of iOS 3, and two years of iOS 4 and 5, and you're not getting iOS 6. If you got it as a Christmas present, you would have only gotten two years worth of updates for a device that cost you $500.

I can deal with having to buy a new iPod every two years, but I am not spending $800 over and over again to do the same with the iPad. You easily get stuck with a machine that cannot run all the latest apps because developers want to use new APIs and then there's the new developers altogether.

At least when they stop making OS X compatible with my machine, I can just use it to run Windows. Or even Ubuntu.

Android is so much better for that reason (and that's coming from an Apple diehard). People might be stuck on Gingerbread, but you don't have the compatibility issues that iOS users have. 2.3 development is going to be around for at least five more years and heavily supported.

Buying a Kindle Fire now is not such a bad idea. It is not an underpowered device, the real issue is that it doesn't have properly written drivers. Heck, I bought Kinectimals the other day and it plays beautifully on it compared to my Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket. So does pretty much every other app. I even use Foursquare to check into places while my phone sits in my pocket. Having a tablet that does both phone and tablet apps very nicely is great. No Android device really benefits from those nice graphic chips inside them.

And honestly, if Amazon DOESN'T give us the new updates, then someone will just build us a ROM with them at XDA. The funny thing is that for even being the cheapest tablet, the Kindle Fire has the best ICS support because the drivers have been rewritten from scratch, and we have the sources direct from the chipmaker.
That's an interesting spin on things. Apple is seen negatively because they release regular OS updates and provide n upgrade path for the prior two generations of hardware. With Android, the vast majority of devices running Gingerbread will never see Ice Cream Sandwich let alone Jelly Bean and that is a positive? The odds of any Gingerbread development happening in 5 years are close to zero. It will soon be two generations behind and in 5 years it will be 6 or 7 generations behind. No sensible developer will be supporting it.

It seems that Google is getting frustrated with the fragmentation in the Android market, hence they are now again directly selling Nexus phones and soon Nexus tablets, devoid of any branding and skins and therefore actually able to be upgraded promptly when a new OS is released. The fact that the vast majority of Android devices are still running Gingerbread when ICE has been out for a year and Jelly bean is imminent does nothing to help Google compete with Apple.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote