View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 06:03 AM   #16
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I think also who we liked most as Bond is a little generational. While I only think of Connery as being the best Bond, my son loves Brosnan and he thinks that Craig is the best. Of course, the last few Bond films have been excellent movies in their own right and either Bond actor would have been great in those movies.
I'm not sure it is generational. I was in my late teens when the first Bond movie hit the theaters. I thought Connery was good, but not great, even then.

My son, who is 32, likes Connery, Craig, and Brosnan, in that order.

I think rather than it being generational, it is a matter of what you think Bond should be. When sharing drinks with gazillionaires, which is what usually happens, I find it difficult to see Connery being accepted into that social class as an equal (relative or otherwise). He comes across with a certain roughness. Brosnan, on the other hand, would, I think, fit smoothly.

If you think that what matters most is action, not sophistication, I think Craig is hard to beat. I can't imagine Connery sitting tied naked in a chair and having his "privates" whipped and telling the villain to move it over a little to catch the itch.

I view Connery as a compromise when viewed against Brosnan and Craig, although for the 1960s, I don't think there was anyone who could have done a better job as Bond. When I imagine them all in their prime and having to audition for Bond today, my choice would be between Brosnan and Craig, depending on whether social abilities or raw action were to be emphasized, with Connery as the backup compromise for either case.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote