View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 08:57 AM   #1
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Darn that Metropolis!

Ach! und Himmel! I just got word that the classic motion picture Metropolis, with the final restoration making it a complete movie for the first time in about 80 years, will be coming to the U.S. to do a cinematic run before being sold as DVDs.

But it's a limited cinematic run.

As limited as the 2002 release run, which hit about 3 dozen art theatres across the country? No... more limited than that.

3 theatres. In 2 states.

Yes, exactly one theatre in New York City... and 2 in Los Angeles. Probably only one showing in each (EDIT: There will be multiple showings in NY). The rest of the country can go fish (to put it politely).

In 2002, my wife and I saw the movie in a Baltimore art house--the closest it came to the nation's capital. Now, just after I've shelled out almost 2 grand in taxes just today, I'm considering making a weekend pilgrimage to NYC, with short notice, at an expense of probably about $800-1000 when all is said and done.

Metropolis is a glorious motion picture... the precursor to the modern science fiction movie. Every movie buff, and most movie watchers, should see it at least once. And yes, it is incredible on the big screen. But when I weigh the trouble and expense of journeying to New York to see it... I despair. Is it really worth a cool grand? Can I even afford to spend a cool grand, just after April 15th, and a mortgage payment coming in 2 weeks? Sheesh!

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 04-15-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote