View Single Post
Old 03-20-2006, 04:09 AM   #13
MatYadabyte
Zealot
MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Snappy and everyone

>>>It's probably mentioned either here or elsewhere, but most would have to contend with the question: "What do you really buy, when you buy a CD, software, book, pair of jeans, a car, or a house?"

When you buy something you by many aspects of that thing. The thing in itself. The use of the thing. The brand, the support, the lifestyle niche, the authenticity, the quality or the lack of quality.

In the case of digital the same applies, but what I believe is certain is that you are not buying the actual digits.

>>>…. The line is actually crossed the moment duplication occurs. And its up to the software company to decide to sue or not (assuming they know you duplicated). But they won't sue in this case since the subsequent usage does not infringe on their interest.

The very fact they can sue is where this problem begins.

>>>This is DRM by physical material. In the electronic world, its a different ball game.

That’s an interesting take

>>>However, the pertinent question may become "Isn't it great that the digital world allows us to duplicate things at minimal cost?

Yes it is great!!!! Its not just great its awesome!

>>>Why stem it?". Sure. Why stem it? Why not duplicate all the contents and share the love around? Well, in some parts of the world, that's called communism.

I’ m not sure which parts of the world or which version of communism you are talking about :P

>>Ok, don't laugh.

Couldn’t help it!

>>>If it were possible, then we could all open source and start fabbing cars and houses and all the stuffs that we all need.

I think there are pretty fundamental laws of the universe, like the special theory of relativity, the uncertainty principle that mean that the duplication of objects is going to be either impossible or very expensive in energy costs alone.

>>>But unfortunately, digital copying only works in the digital realm. And the truth is, if copying and giving or selling to others is not outlawed, what is the impetus for anyone to buy something they already own? Albeit a copy.

In much the same way as when some proto cell billions of years ago changed the world when it went and divided, the world changed when we could duplicate information indefinitely with insignificant cost. Things changed. The world is different.

I’m not sure exactly what the impetus is to buy something which you could have a free copy of. Should anyone really be expected to know this so soon into the game?

But, for the sake of getting it down on paper (these thoughts have been in my head for a while) I’ll say how I think it should be using music as an example.

*A band makes music.
*Their music is sold on their website at a price that most fans are willing to pay.
** Fans like to support their band and also fans like a sense of belonging etc
*When the bands music is played on TV or Radio etc the band should/could get a cut from this.
*The band make money from concerts and merchandise etc
Pirates Ahoy!
*Pirates have hacked the DRM and release the music on the P2P nets.
**The band are cool with that, unless they are Metalica. They loose perhaps some revenue but they get free publicity etc etc
*** the band or (if they have one) the publishing company might decide that they want to crack down on piracy, so they change DRM etc etc. They engage in this to and fro with the hackers.
*Nobody goes to jail or gets sued.

(Incidentally, I think it’s a different issue to profiteer from the unauthorised duplication)

As I said in a post a few pages up, people and companies should still be able to make money from their content. But those involved in physical distribution will have to take a hit, just like the coopers and the thatchers and the black smiths.

What fun!

Mat
MatYadabyte is offline   Reply With Quote