View Single Post
Old 03-17-2006, 06:38 PM   #8
MatYadabyte
Zealot
MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Rmeister

I am ejoying this

>>>This analogy is highly flawed. The magic bag creates the apples by itself without any labour or raw materials required. Real life does not work that way; the items being duplicated still have to originate somewhere, somehow, with real labor done by real people.

No! : )

Digital copying IS just like the magic bag. It is a magic bag I can give you the complete works of all the classic authors for free. Nobody looses (ignoring trivial energy senses)

In the case of unauthorised duplication there is close to zero cost. It is a magic bag

>>>> Music doesn't compose, perform, and record itself. Movies don't write, direct, act, edit, and post themselves. Books don't write themselves (unless you have Stephen King's PowerBook).

Absolutely. Again, my position is just "Unauthorised duplication is not theft" nothing more that that. I think artists should be rewarded. And programmers (who can be artists). And band managers and make up artists and the publishers tea-boy.

All we are talking here about is the distribution of media. It used to need hardware, now it doesn’t. Great.

So everyone can still make money, but unfortunately, the people who still make SO MUCH MONEY will start to make less money unless they can adapt in the right ways.

A band, for example, should be able to put their music on their website freely. Anyone can have a copy for free. But if other companies use their work in adverts or on radio shows or DJs etc etc there should be the possibility of payment back to the band .

It’s a kind of pure capitalism that is only possible when there are close to zero delivery costs for products people want. Its capitalism without geography.

Deeply, I feel this is how it should be and could be.

>>>>But again, if it isn't theft, than what is it?

The nearest moral and conceptual equivalent I can give it in my head is that its akin to gossiping. Its not good to do and you shouldn't do it. Maybe jaywalking.

Having fun

Mat
MatYadabyte is offline   Reply With Quote