View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Free (Kindle DRM-free) Demons Hide Their Faces by A.A. Attanasio [SF/Fantasy] +KDP

Today's KDP Select exclusive-or-else-but-5-days-free-out-of-90 thing which I still think will come back to bite people in uncomfortable areas but am nevertheless willing to take advantage of if it gets me nice backlist sf/fantasy books which I hope the authors will return to the other stores later slushpile trawl yields another A.A. Attanasio title.

There's also some mystery/thriller and humour stuff for the non-sf/fantasy readers. No romance, surprisingly, though one of the thrillers may be a romantic suspense.

Demons Hide Their Faces: Seven Strange Tales by A.A. Attanasio is a collection of his short stories which probably range through sf to fantasy to maybe-horror/literary.

As mentioned before, if you like his writing, some of his award-winning science fiction novels can be had for 37% off, DRM-free in your choice of ePub or Mobi, during re-publisher Phoenix Pick's January coupon sale.

Free without DRM, probably just for the rest of the day, over @ Amazon main UK DE ES FR IT.

Description
Featuring seven mind-bending stories, this captivating collection of strange fiction boldly gives form to a universe that is both wonderful and terrifying.

Josh Fruhlinger and Conor Lastowka, of the popular Comics Curmudgeon blog and RiffTrax.com, respectively, offer the humorous: Citation Needed]: The Best of Wikipedia's Worst Writing

The daily story from Nebula Award-winner Eric James Stone is: Betrayer of Trees

Michael Canfield/Evan Cobb mentions in his blurb having been published in the old Realms of Fantasy magazine, as well as current online sf outlets Strange Horizons and Daily Science Fiction. He offers: Exhibit A: A Novel of Suspense

A review mentions that Jane Toombs has written for the Zebra romance and Pinnacle thriller imprints of Kensington under pseudonyms. I've no idea whether this is true and I'm not going to bother googling. But her book is from the same BWLPP that re-released Lee Killough, and she offers a collection of short stories which seem to range from paranormal/fantasy to horror/thriller: Ten Past Midnight: Dark Tales from Jane Toombs

Previously Five Star-published Karen Fenech offers a CIA suspense/thriller (may be a romantic version of such), 1st in the Protectors series: Impostor

Previously Penguin-published UK writer John Matthews offers what looks like a police procedural serial killer thriller: Past Imperfect. He quotes some flattering previous reviews from UK newspapers, which may or may not applicable to this book.

MIRA-published Rick Mofina offers another short story: Blood Red Rings

Previously-Big 6-published (I've forgotten which and am not looking it up) Kent Harrington offers his small-press published 2nd novel, a DEA agent/organized drug trade thriller: Dia de los Muertos

William Casey Moreton, previously published by Pocket Star, offers two thrillers: Never Back Down and The Stranger Beside You. This author, if he is the same as a "Casey Moreton", which he seems to be according to Amazon's author page, was very dishonest on the Amazon discussion boards a year or two ago, pretending every so often to be a newly-joined commenter who'd just discovered the most amazing books by a particular author, so cheap at just $2.99 each and perfect for thriller lovers and leaving glowing 5-star reviews for his own books under his assumed identity, and then denying he was the author when asked even though his profile page had all the info about his real identity which he eventually changed to better cover his tracks. So caveat 1-clicker if this sort of public comportment is an author turn-off for you.

Bell Bridge Books-published Southern literary fiction author Janice Daugherty offers two short stories: The Hunt and Vacation Bible School (a tie-in to "Jesus Bus" which is presumably a novel)

If you missed it earlier, fellow MR member author Maryann Miller's short story collection is free again: The Wisdom of the Ages

Scott Nicholson, Aiden James, and J.R. Rain appear to have added more or repeated old KDP-freebies since yesterday. Also, they and another author (who does not appear to have added extra items) are holding some kind of giveaway contest for a Kindle Fire and some Amazon gift certificates, and fellow MR member koland has details in her Books on the Knob blog (link in her sig, if you have sig-viewing turned on).

If you think you might be interested in some science self-pubs: Heat Transfer - Engineering Applications by someone whose credentials are not mentioned, and Electron, by a guy who says he has a PhD.

Well, I think that's everything, and I should get something to eat before I head off to classes.

Happy reading, if you see something you think you might like.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote