View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 02:38 AM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoc View Post
Of course, it's true that you can't typically see a backlit LCD in the sunlight--we've all known that. I had hoped that that problem was somehow overcome or mitigated in this "reader" specifically intended for reading Amazon books.

The questions therefore become for all of us: 1. Do we want to carry two Kindle's around (I have an older model, and love it)? 2. Do we sometimes read outside--in a park, beach, picnic, while hiking, waiting for a bus, etc. etc.? And 3). If the Kindle Fire is more a general tablet (competing for the iPad and others) and less for reading, then is this the one we want?

I haven't made a final decision to keep or return it. The touch sensitivity of the screen is very inconsistent and quirky--at times it responds to a light touch, at other times I have to hit it harder and harder to get a response. And it didn't need to be this glossy and reflective--that could have been better controlled--many LCD screens are. The price is certainly right, but that can't be the only criterion. So, we'll just have to see.

One final point, a couple of you seem very defensive about this, as if one needs to protect the good name of the Fire. Look, this is just a forum: it's intended for discussion and constructive criticism, as well as questions, help, etc. That's all that was intended by the original question.

kdoc
Agree with the glossy part. I bought a anti glare protector to get rid of it. For the price the Kindle Fire is great! We know it's not for everyone if you read outdoors alot you need to get a eInk Kindle instead of the Fire. The Touch or K4 are good choices for portability.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote