View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 02:10 AM   #14
kdoc
Enthusiast
kdoc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Reading Outside

Of course, it's true that you can't typically see a backlit LCD in the sunlight--we've all known that. I had hoped that that problem was somehow overcome or mitigated in this "reader" specifically intended for reading Amazon books.

The questions therefore become for all of us: 1. Do we want to carry two Kindle's around (I have an older model, and love it)? 2. Do we sometimes read outside--in a park, beach, picnic, while hiking, waiting for a bus, etc. etc.? And 3). If the Kindle Fire is more a general tablet (competing for the iPad and others) and less for reading, then is this the one we want?

I haven't made a final decision to keep or return it. The touch sensitivity of the screen is very inconsistent and quirky--at times it responds to a light touch, at other times I have to hit it harder and harder to get a response. And it didn't need to be this glossy and reflective--that could have been better controlled--many LCD screens are. The price is certainly right, but that can't be the only criterion. So, we'll just have to see.

One final point, a couple of you seem very defensive about this, as if one needs to protect the good name of the Fire. Look, this is just a forum: it's intended for discussion and constructive criticism, as well as questions, help, etc. That's all that was intended by the original question.

kdoc
kdoc is offline   Reply With Quote