View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 11:08 AM   #58
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I really don't see the relevence of that. Lots of legal "monitoring" is done by private companies. Eg, most of the CCTV monitoring here in the UK is "private". Presumably in this case the courts would only get involved if a person were to ignore the repeated warnings they'd receive and be prosecuted.

Do you have a problem with the basic concept of people being punished for breaking the law?
There is a big difference between a private company monitoring, and a private company making a decision to administer a punishment. Guilty verdicts belong to the courts. It sounds to me like this law, if passed, would allow private ISPs to declare someone guilty after receiving three warnings (without any legal investigation into whether the warnings were justly given), and deny service.

It seems to me that if the legal process is too expensive for small authors/businesses, that's the problem that needs to be addressed, not removing the legal process from the equation.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote