View Single Post
Old 06-23-2012, 03:13 AM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownUser View Post
So I created a Debian image file and am trying to set it up as a chroot system on the KT. I tried both creating my own image, and using someone elses image from somewhere on these forums.. can't remember exactly where.
The problem came up when I try to use apt. It seems to lock up the entire filesystem somehow. for instance, running apt-get update will freeze in the middle of stuff (not always at the same point mind you...). Anytime any process trys to access parts of the filesystem, they hang as well. for instance, after apt hangs, I can call "ls /" fine, but "ls /mnt/us" will freeze... If I try to access a book from the kindle UI, the UI freezes... only thing I can do is a hard reset to fix it.

Seeing as how other people seem to have gotten this to work already, I'm kinda stuck as to why this is happening. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated!
This problem was discovered by myself, dasmoover, and others when the K5 first came out. Even a wget can lockup the device. After loop mounting a debian image, while booted from main, there is not enough free RAM to do much that is useful. I verified this with extensive free memory monitoring while trying various commands.

I discovered that loop mounts are MUCH more useful (more free RAM) while booted from diags, which does not load the framework (cvm and Xorg).

If you can stop and unload the framework without making the K5 reboot itself, you may be successful booting from main too. If you just kill cvm or Xorg (commonly done on earlier kindles), the K5 just reboots itself.

In some cases, K5 devices seem to have bricked themselves while trying to use a loop mount, but I think now that it was just a dead battery. Battery charging does not work well while booted from diags (at least on the original diags kernel), and a K5 can act bricked if it has an almost dead battery and an ENABLE_DIAGS file.

You can read more about it in some older posts about optware and loop mounts.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-23-2012 at 03:15 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote