View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 02:04 AM   #66
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Thanks. I was kind of lazy about the ebooks my library was buying. They buy all the bestseller fiction books, political tends to be more conservative, but where I really have a problem is the romance novels they buy. Only gay romanaces. This month, there are SIX books on the transgender lifestyle. I have nothing against that, but if I can't rely on the Chicago Public Library, I am going to ask them to justify the demographics of what they are buying. Chicago only buys a handful of books in Spanish, and I suspect Spanish-speaking people make up a larger portion of Chicago than gay/transgender makes up of the suburbs.

I hesitate to post this, because I really don't have anything against gay or transgender persons. As a matter of fact, I do charity work for the Howard Brown Clinic in Chicago (focusing on gay individuals). But if Chicago won't feed my jones (and they have every right to focus on tax-paying Chicagoans), I have to make sure my library reflects my community.
I have no issue with your asking, but perhaps those LGBT titles were specifically requested by patrons?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote