View Single Post
Old 09-17-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
lamoe
Enthusiast
lamoe doesn't litterlamoe doesn't litter

Device: Pandigital Novel, Nextar T30, HTC EVO
Home made reader stand

Apoligise for duplication - this was my introduction post and din't know how to get a URL to show pictures then - if anyone wants to see how it's made go to

http://photobucket.com and look up lamoe1777

Thought the stand that came with my Pandigital was one of the worst designs I’d seen in a long time (was an industrial designer for 30 years) – too narrow and no adjustment.

Made my first one using a CD case, 10 pcs of Velcro tape (it has more holding power than most tapes), and 2 pcs of thin, strong Christmas ribbon. Used white VELCO and ribbon to match the reader.

Take the CD case apart and break off the ears.

Cut 4 pcs Velcro about 1” long (FUZZY side - these are the hinges), 4 pcs about 1/2” long (Fuzzy side - these hold one end of the ribbon to the case and wrap around the other end) and 2 pcs about 4” long (HOOK side - these provide the adjustment).

Cut 2 pcs of ribbon about 9” long.

Attach one half of the CD case by sticking 2 pcs of the 1” long tape to the top back of the unit (don’t cover up the switch or rest hole) and the case itself (1/2” on each), these are the hinges. Stick one end of the ribbon to the bottom of the case, on the OUTSIDE of the 1st case half stick a 4” piece of hook tape. Now wrap the free end of the ribbon with a 1/2” fuzzy tape and you have an adjustable vertical stand.

Do the same with the other half of the case on the unit or first case half but tape it the side to make a stand for viewing movies or pictures.

Found out the CD cases are kind of flimsy so I went to the hardware store (Menard’s) and bought a small piece of Lexan for $2. Using the CD case as a template, cut the same sizes using a box cutter (score the plastic and it breaks just like glass).

Now I can stand the reader on a table at whatever angle I want and show movies / pictures to other people.

Can also make a decent sleeve by using what’s called “car headliner” material from a fabric store. It’s padded and easy to work with (no sewing). Get a piece that is 7 1/2” wide x 16 1/2” long. Fold the 16 1/2 “ length in half and use a pen to score the sides to about 6 1/2” wide. The pen point causes the material to compress and adhere to itself. Cut along the scored lines and use 6 pcs of electrical tape to make the side seams (1 pc initially and 2 more about 1/4” in to reinforce it). Use some of the left over Velcro to make a top closure.
lamoe is offline   Reply With Quote