View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 07:52 PM   #18
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Simple. The current speaker is not done yet (but a new paragraph is called for).
Then... just start a new paragraph. The fact that I did not yet encounter a closing quote signals to me that the same person is still speaking, even if his monologue is five paragraphs long and spans two pages.

Quote:
The opening quote at the beginning of the next paragraphs reminds you that it's still an ongoing quotation.
I don't need (or actually, want) that reminder because....

Quote:
Otherwise, as Ripplinger mentioned, a closing quote and a new opening quote will often lead the reader to make the mistake of thinking that the first speaker has concluded and a different speaker has begun.
...this practice actually causes that mistake, at least for me, instead of preventing it, because I expect the dialog to go to the other speaker as soon as I see the opening quote.

I assume it is "illegal" to contain multiple paragraphs within two quotes, or it was, a long time ago?

Quote:
But to be perfectly honest, dialogue where one speaker continues over multiple paragraphs isn't all that common in most of today's popular fiction.
I've only seen it where one speaker was explaining something to another, in the role of a narrator or a teacher or something like that; I've never seen it in "normal" conversations.

Quote:
Hence, I think, why many people think it's a "mistake" whenever they encounter it. I find it helpful, myself (once I was clued in to how it worked).
Hm. To each his own then... but in my case, as said, this practice exactly causes me to make the mistake it tries to prevent.

Last edited by Katsunami; 08-29-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote