View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #11
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
teh603, I've seen plenty of scam-sites around in my research, but I don't see BookBaby as fitting into this basket. If you consider the time you can save by outsourcing many of these details (both in learning what is required and then execution) then the fees seem realistic. Of course I've been learning what is required in order to try and verify which sites are offering value for money, so I'm still losing time ... you can't win them all. Not everyone is keen to go through everything necessary to fit the requirements of each and every end distributor, so - of course - there will be companies looking to fill this niche, isn't capitalism grand .

VydorScope, they offer various packages, with one including cover design starting at $149 and going up from there. They also have HostBaby to make web-site sites easier (at least that's what they say). Through their "partner" FirstEditing.com they also offer editing services. Each of these services are extra. They appear to be serious in trying to offer one-place that an author can go to, to get their production work done. Of course, the more you want the more you pay. The $149 with cover package is a "Text-focused design with simple graphic and background color" cover (but can incorporate a "customer supplied photograph"), you have to go up to the $279 package for "Images that provide a glimpse into the story or subject matter". None of these prices strike me as outlandish (I've seen sites wanting several thousands of dollars for not much more). As you well know, these are all things you _can_ do for yourself, but they all take time.

I'm not associated with BookBaby, I don't even use them (yet), I just started this thread because I was hoping for confirmation that they deliver what what they say they will. (It's one thing seeing the testimonials in their advertising blurb, it's another to get independent feedback.)

ETA: They're not as fast at responding to email as I might like, I'm still waiting for answers to my questions about tax etc., but I'm guessing my email would have landed at their site on Sunday - I got to remind myself that America is behind the times.

Last edited by gmw; 10-30-2012 at 09:46 PM. Reason: About email responses.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote