View Single Post
Old 04-22-2008, 03:15 PM   #15
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My main love is 19th century novels, and in those one comes across lots of words that are NOT in common use today, largely connected with things like dress, and "technical vocabulary" associated with horse-drawn transport, for example.
I could see that. My love is pulp so I generally enjoy authors from about mid-century onwards (eg Edgar Allen Poe, H. Rider Haggard, Edgar Rice Burroughs, "Doc" Smith) and I occasionally find words that I don't understand, especially, as you point out, with Haggard where I am displaced in geography as well as in time.

But I think I would prefer on-line searching to just dictionary lookup. For example, eReader Pro gives you Merriam-Webster's Pocket Dictionary and I have to wonder if they have a definition for "belcher" there. They don't seem to in the on-line version.

I guess the dictionary for the Cybook is more comprehensive.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote