View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
teknicoloringrey
teknicoloringrey began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Help - best note taking/rooted e ink reader?

Hello! So, I'm starting school soon and as an English major, decided that an e-book reader would probably save some space (and my back). I've been looking at all the different options, and to be honest I'm kind of overwhelmed, and would LOVE if I could get some help and turn into

Okay! Here are my priorities of what I need/am looking for.
1. I'm a student, and would like to take notes, highlight, quote, etc. and then be able to search through and/or import/export them to my computer [preferable all in one file].

2. Rooting would be cool. I understand the Nook color and touch can be rooted (any others?) - &&& I THINK then I could load some sort of notating app onto it and be able to take notes/highlight/annotate directly in the text that way? Is that right? Or is it only that you can load Kindle's software [which has better notetaking [?]] onto the nook? [kinda confused as to capabilities here] OH! Does rooting void warranty?

I'd like to try to get something for 100-200$...the cheaper the better obviously. A variety of supported formats would be nice, but I can convert most stuff via Calibre yes? A long battery life would be good - something to last through a single day at least. 3G isn't necessary, wi-fi would be cool but I can live without it. I'd prefer e-ink over lcd (I'm on my computer all day and need a break). I don't really need any games or social stuff or anything like that.

What I'm leaning towards now is the Nook Touch [140$] because of it's rooting capability, e-ink screen. The Entourage Edge looks great, but the fact that the company went out of business is kind of discouraging. I honestly haven't looked into the Sony too much, so I don't know much about it.
I'm sorry if this was confusing, there's just so many options!

IF there aren't any really great e-readers that you can take notes in comparable to the way you can in a real book, then I was just thinking of going with the Aluratek Libre - it's only 80$ and has the basic functionality I want....reading.

Also, side-note and kind of random....how do these things hold up to rain? I live in a very rainy place and am kind of nervous about a few drops of water breaking my new toy.

Thank you so very much for reading through this rambling cry for help
teknicoloringrey is offline   Reply With Quote