Thread: Outlines?
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #15
DaringNovelist
Addict
DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
People who don't outline don't seem to get that outlining is not usually a firm commitment... it's just notes.

I wrote a blog post the other day on my rather chaotic planning method, but the short version is: yeah I outline when the book is 3/4 done. It helps pull everything together.

I also do other planning tasks earlier.

I don't write in chronological order -- I can't. My mind moves way too fast, and I'm dyslexic and can't even take summarized notes that fast. So I write like I paint, laying down a foundation, playing with details and seeing how they fit with the rest. Yes, a structure develops, but it comes from the characters and story.

IMHO, both pantsing and plotting are skills a writer has to learn. Different stories will require different skills. You may prefer one or the other, but you need to be in a position to chose between them.

Oh, here's a link to the post "Dis-organizing a Novel:
http://daringnovelist.blogspot.com/2...ing-novel.html

Camille
DaringNovelist is offline   Reply With Quote