View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #445
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
So, my PW arrived today and I may go for a replacement because of the following:
I can see a very bright light spot in the lower left hand corner no matter what light setting I use. It bothers me because I have to look past it to read the screen, so I have to cover it with my finger. Not good! It is next to the bezel and spans across two rows of text and the progress area. No matter which way I turn the kindle, I can still see it. It is just so darn bright. I wonder if the light diode was misinstalled. Maybe because of this, the top left corner is also a bit too bright. The area is much smaller in the top corner, but it's bright, so bothers my eyes. This is noticeable at all light settings and unpleasant to the eyes causing eye strain above level 1.
There is also a blotchy type of bright spot as reported by others about the size of a thumb print in the right half of the screen at the bottom, but that I could live with if it weren't for the other two.

Also, not a biggie because I will probably never see this again, but I had three dead pixels in the lower half of the screen that I could see because of the Kindle still image displayed during setup. I took a picture that I'll post tomorrow.

Other than that, and apart from missing page turn buttons and constantly flipping pages by accident, I love the interface, {...though wish it would not include any editor's picks...} ->used method described on p24 of this thread and they're now gone, and I love the screen resolution and the screen surface.
I also have a K4B and was a bit bummed when I held both screens next to each other: the contrast is better on the K4B, the fonts a blacker, while they are a bit more washed out on the PW. That was with the light on the PW turend "off", which is not really off, because it is still lit. Maybe the light is causing the washout, I don't know....

I'll post pics tomorrow - of them next to each other and next to my K4S.
Anyone else have issues with the light diode in the left hand lower corner?
See attached pictures, unfortunately taken with my iPad, so you can't see the three dead pixels and how bright the spots really are in the first pic.
In the second one, left to right: K4S, K4B, PW light at level 0. The pic is a bit deceptive, as the font on the K4S is definitely not as black as on the K4B, but you get a good idea of the background brightness and hue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pw1.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	357.6 KB
ID:	93568   Click image for larger version

Name:	pw2.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	451.5 KB
ID:	93569  
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote