View Single Post
Old 05-30-2014, 02:21 PM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete5609 View Post
Client is a trade publisher but not on the scale of Random House. Testing goes like this: Take fully-functioning .epub with videos embedded (epub 3 verified), run it through Kindle Previewer to convert to mobi. Check in 3 versions of Kindle Fire using the Previewer. Also upload to iPad, check in Kindle App. Videos are just ... gone.

*kind of* got it working when using H264 .mp4 files. Videos at least appear in the Kindle App with play button. Really slow to play though.

Works fine in Calibre's .mobi viewer, in fact looks far better than any Kindle version.

Have also prepared a version that simply links out to youtube... seems a lot easier. Not sure why they are insisting on embedded videos. File sizes are huge.

So what's this about not allowing videos at KDP? That isn't in the KP guidelines.

Pete:

Feel free to email KDP and ask, if you think I'm misspeaking. "Trade Pub" and "has real publishing contract with Amazon" aren't the same thing. If the client FTP's their books, instead of uploading via the KDP, they have a trade-pub's contract with Amazon. If they publish via the KDP, they fall into the "self-publisher" category, from Amazon's viewpoint. (This may well be simply because your client hasn't reached out for a contract.) Amazon has indicated (directly to me in email) absolutely zero interest in trying to provide tech support for self-publishers with video-mobis (or audio, for that matter).

The point is: the videos will be stripped and the coding will cause the book to cease working if you upload it via the KDP. Try a mobi with video--uploading there--and then download the preview mobi.

I assume you're using the source spec from the Kindle Guidelines, right? 6.7, on page 52? And embedding the required metadata, and putting the video files in the Navlist--all that good stuff? And their "ideal" spec is H.264 MPEG-2, although they say that .mp4 will work.

And, as I said: if your client is not sending the files directly to Amazon via FTP, this discussion is moot. And, just out of curiosity, what are they going to do about the delivery fees (vis-a-vis filesize) if they do fall into the self-pub category?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote