View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #210
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
I'm talking about Dasmoover's original 3.3 image, that I rescued from a wiped harddrive. (The one I could never get to upload successfully.)
Recovering a file from a wiped HDD (i.e. undeleting) usually fails if the file was fragmented. Windows does not defrag chunks larger than 64MB as I recall, so the image was likely fragmented and therefore did not recover correctly. And even if it did, recovered files are often extended to fill the last 4KB file allocation block. So good or bad, it would probably still have a bad CRC.

File carving utilities are usually more successful when recovering media files with known file signatures and layouts, but even then fail to recover correctly plenty often. I have done a huge amount of data recovery for myself and others. I even own the rather expensive hard drive platter swapping tools. So I believe that I know what I am talking about in this post...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote