Thread: Very Annoyed
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 08:57 AM   #1
DrSp0ckk
DrSp0ckk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Unhappy Very Annoyed

Greetings all.

My father has lent me his Sony PRS-505 to read a few books so I can determine if I want an "eReader" or not. After reading "Poison Study" by Maria Synder on the PRS-505, I found my self becoming quite fond of the reader. After finishing the said book, I decided to buy the next one in the sequel, namely "Magic Study".

I decided to buy the "Magic Study" sequel from ebooks.com, in PDF format, for Adobe Digital Editions. Once I got the Sony software for my Mac (OS X 10.6) and was able to import the DRM protected PDF to my reader, I found the format of the book uncomfortable to read. The text is too small, zooming in produces crude results and although all the formatting is well preserved, I simply can't read it at night in bed with my little lamp shining down.

I'm quite annoyed at this. I've paid $7 (which I consider a very fair price) for the PDF eBook and I am unable to get it to "format" its self in a manner that would resemble the easily readable "Poison Study" that came with the reader. If I could get it converted to LRF, I think this would resolve the issue, but I fear the DRM will prevent this.

Here are my questions regarding this matter:
  1. Do I have to simply convert the file using some software, ADE or the Sony software via an option I'm not seeing?
  2. Have I bought the wrong format? Have I wasted my cash?
  3. Where should I get my books from in future? I think booksonboard.com is mighty expensive, but is it a better option?
  4. What am I missing here? I really like these readers and I'm considering getting one.

I don't want this to be the undoing of my eBook reader experience. I hope I can find a solution to this and start getting cosy with some good books.

All feedback is welcome and appreciated, and thank you for taking the time to read my thread.

Regards,

Mike.
DrSp0ckk is offline   Reply With Quote