View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #16
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by happysnapper22 View Post
Questions

1) With the screen lighting turned OFF is there any difference in the clarity or general readability of the Kindles we currently have and the PW?
The Paperwhite text is sharper. This isn't a huge difference when you first look at it although it's easy enough to see. It does make it a bit more readable, though.

The biggest difference is that the screen's background is much whiter, thanks to the light. The purpose of the light, as I see it, isn't so much as to replace room light, although it can do that, but to increase contrast and readability. They really got this right. It's a lot more readable.

Quote:
Questions2) One of the reasons I like our current basic Kindle's is that it does have the page turn buttons . I have a thing about dirty screens and the buttons avoid the need to touch the screen at all thereby reducing the need to clean the screen. So how quickly does the screen get dirty from page turn touches and general use? Do you find this a problem?
I miss the page turn buttons but that's not a big thing. I also have the previous model of the Basic Kindle and I like having those buttons. I find turning pages by swiping a bit more awkward and a little less reliable. But that's okay. The advantages are so numerous I won't go back. I use my Basic Kindle for loaning books to friends. I use my Paperwhite for reading.

By the way, the big advantage of the touch screen is that you can just touch a word to look it up in the dictionary. No typing is needed. I find myself using the dictionary a lot more now because it's just so simple and fast. Also if I'm in a book and a character is mentioned that hasn't been there for a while and I need a reminder of who that is, I touch the name and search for it and see other instances of that name being used. I hit Back and I'm back in my book.

What would be nice is to have the touch screen and the page turn buttons like on the Nook e-ink reader. But this thing is so nice I'm sure not complaining.

Quote:
Questions3) One last query, based on past product release frequency any thoughts on the probability of a Paperwhite II hitting the market any time soon?
I have no idea if or when there'll be a Paperwhite 2 but I find it hard to care. I began with the Kindle Keyboard and I've bought every Kindle since but I'm not sure I get the next one. The Paperwhite is what I've been hoping for. I hope they don't make too many changes.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote