View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 11:24 PM   #286
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgK View Post
Obviously I couldn't make myself understood

I want to sideload a new firmware to my KObo Touch and want to make sure I use the right file.
There are two of them: a file for "new" hardware and one for "old" hardware.
Unfortunately I cannot say if I've got an old or a new Kobo. How can I check which version of KObo Touch I purchased?

Regards
Georg
Do a factory reset. Once that has completed, connect your Kobo to a computer running the Kobo desktop app. It will see that your Kobo has an older firmware version and download the newest version that is available for your device. Once the sync has finished, DO NOT EJECT YOUR KOBO. Close the desktop application and take a look at the Kobo's internal drive in Windows Explorer or Finder (though Finder may need a tweak to show hidden directories). On the Kobo's internal drive, you will see a directory called .kobo. Open that directory and you will see a file called KoboRoot.tgz. Take careful note of the size of that file.

If the desktop app downloaded 2.31, you will see a KoboRoot.tgz file that is 69,113,998 bytes if you have an older Touch (the kobo3 firmware). If the file is 86,388,351 bytes, you have a new Touch and need the kobo4 (Glo, Mini, new Touch firmware).

If the file size is 69,116,850 (old Touch, kobo3) or 86,386,151 (new Touch, kobo4), your Kobo is being updated with 2.4.0 and you can save the information for the next firmware update.

In less exact terms, if KoboRoot.tgz file is smaller than 70MB, you have an old Touch, if KoboRoot.tgz is larger than 80MB, you have a new Touch.

You can then replace the KoboRoot.tgz, manifest.md5sum and the upgrade folder with the versions from the firmware you want to use before ejecting the Kobo and letting the upgrade run.

As I said, a slightly complex procedure but the only way I know to be certain that you have the correct firmware version without access to Kobo's servers.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote