View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 03:46 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
You can use a save template. Note that it applies to all formats. You cannot use a different template per format.
Where can I put that template down then? I have a save template that is exactly the same for all my devices and formats (that's why I made a field for it, a lot easier to copy than the entire template string :P)

Quote:
The plugboard device is SMART_DEVICE_APP. However, plugboards are of limited utility with CC unless you are not going to use CC's organization functions. Because CC "sees" calibre's metadata and can sort/group on it, there isn't any need to mess with the metadata inside the book (what the plugboard does). However, if you are using a reader app as an organizer instead of CC then you might want to use a plugboard, although even here it isn't clear. For example FBReader and Moon+ both can use title, author, and series metadata from inside the book, reducing the need to use a plugboard to mess with (for example) the title.
I only want to use the companion to move books from my library to my device, I do the management on my Mantano reader. And I mostly have the plugboard for my author and title sort and my tag.

Quote:
Books downloaded from the content server are stored in the appropriate folder for the format using the name "title - author.extension". If that file already exists then a tie breaker number is added to the end.
Can I change that format?

Quote:
CC neither reads nor writes the metadata.calibre file. Instead it uses its own database that contains the metadata for all the books that it has downloaded. When you connect CC passes this metadata back to calibre, where it is used to do on-device matching.

You can tell CC to scan the folders it knows about for "new" books when you connect. If CC finds books that are not in its db, it passes them to calibre for analysis. Calibre then passes back the correct metadata for any book that calibre matched in its library. Epubs are a special case: CC extracts the metadata from the OPF in the newly-discovered books and passes that back to calibre.

If your plugboards change the title or authors then this can foil calibre's book matching. Epubs suffer less from this problem because the internal OPF contains the book's UUID. Calibre prefers to match on the UUID over title and author information. As long as the books came from the library you connected to then the UUID should be correct.

It is probably best to use either CC or USB for android devices, not both. If you do use both, then for non-epub formats it is better not to use a plugboard for either connection so that calibre's book matching has the best chance of succeeding.
Ok, I'll have to see how it works out then...

I do like the companion because I don't even need to sit behind a PC anymore now.. I can connect via remote desktop (on my tablet) to the PC where Calibre is installed, start Calibre, start the wireless connection, start the companion and then send my books via calibre via remote desktop
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote