View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
accesskb
accesskb began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyS View Post
I am currently using an Epson Perfection V330 Photo flatbed scanner. I think it was around $119 at Staples (can't tell if you're in the USA). I use Paperport to interface with the Epson's drivers, and Paperport uses, I believe, Textbridge to OCR and i find that program to be nicely accurate -- but of course accuracy largely depends on the quality of the original printed material and the way one scans it (I usually choose 240 to 300 dpi, gray scale so i can darken it if needed).

At work I can use a sheet-feed Epson (800, I think), that can scan both sides of a page at once if requested, and Paperport with it, too, but that machine also cost around $800 several years ago and has not gone down much in price since (it must be a popular model). It is a work horse, too. Other flatbeds I have used (with Paperport) are Visioneer models and they've done fine. I had a nice light-weight Canon Canoscan about... 7 years? ago and it did very well until one day it just stopped after I had scanned a couple hundred comics. I figured I had just gotten my money's worth (I love Canon cameras) but I have been avoiding buying another Canon scanner.

Hope that gives you some ideas
thanks for your tips Debby.. I'm in Canada so the price would be similar. I was looking into the Epson V500 or V600 model. Do you think it would take long to scan a book using your Epson scanner?

I've used Canon scanners in the past and thought it takes long if one plans to scan an entire book, let alone the extremely large file size one ends up. But i'm guessing i'm not scanning using the correct settings/method.
accesskb is offline   Reply With Quote