Thread: video in epub
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2012, 05:35 AM   #44
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
That's a posting which could be answered without text:

Hucking Fell!
What you report sounds like collective fail in sanity rolls with really screwed up dice.
Sorry for you Hitch and all the rest of the makers. Really.
Just a wild guess: Things that matter (you know what I mean: all the typographical twerks) still as crappy as they were?
LOL, Freeshadow:

Some things ARE better. Amazon's Fire/K8 formatting has freed up a lot of typography, from simple things like dropcaps to floating images and divs, mostly, being respected. Thus far, they haven't released A/V embeds to the general public, which I am ambivalent about; as a maker, I'd like to have some fun with it, but as someone who sees a lot of bright shiny things passed off as "books," I'm glad that they haven't yet gone the way of Apple, which clearly understands the Human Magpie better than anyone.

The "Immersedition" Dread hasn't caught on yet, as near as I can tell, and for that I am truly grateful. It didn't take Robert Oppenheimer or Stephen Hawking to see that this was the road to embedded product placement, and that made me shudder.

You still have to struggle with smallcaps in many devices. The iBooks app still has funky weirdness with images that are floated inside a div, then floated next to a paragraph, appearing with the concomitant text paragraph at the top of the "page/screen," when rendered--for some reason, text overrides the very upper edge of the image. I don't know yet how to consistently solve it; vertical-align:middle, (granted, unusual), which we'd used for a book with a zillion images that had a similar problem doesn't seem to be working, but I suspect it's something we've overlooked, because the last book with this problem was some months ago--and the app's been updated 6 times since then, and of course when the 3 came out. More importantly--we've observed bizarre behavior in which an image div "moves" 3-4 paragraphs from it's designated location, in iBooks. Now, THAT is funky weirdness. And worse, it's inconsistent funky weirdness, when all our img divs are styled identically, as are the text paragraphs.

ADE still has wacky behavior, but I don't see that changing.

It's hard to focus on design typography when the technology changes so many times from device to device that you're running as fast as you can just to give the client a decent book that works on at least 3-4 major platforms (for most of my clients, it's Nook, iBooks, Kobo, maybe Sony for ePUB and of course MOBI for Amazon).

Amazon has released KindleGen 2.5 which, allegedly, solves the historic issue with indented ul and ol lists, in K7, which I've not tried yet, but devoutly hope is true--THAT would rock.

Reporting live from Bellevue's eBook-maker ward,
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote