View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 04:25 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
possible mobi to epub error - lost chapter numbers

I have a retail mobi copy of Phil Rickman's The Lamp of the wicked

when I view mobi, in KIndle for PC or incalibre viewer, chapter numbers are all OK
but when I convert mobi to epub & view the outrput I am losing chapter numbers 1 through 9,
in sigil i see code like
Code:
<body class="calibre">
<div class="sgc-1" id="filepos22360"></div>

<h1 class="calibre1" id="calibre_pb_16">Foul Water</h1>
what i should be seeing is
Code:
<div class="sgc-1" id="filepos22360">1</div>
for all the 2 digit chapter numbers I do see a 2 digit number in that div line

UPDATE EDIT: bug report now filed, with mobi attached ( no DRM)

it is possible the the free sample from amazon will exhibit the same behaviour though.
does anyone have a hypotheses which could explain the lost numbers.
NB converting with heuristics OFF, no strange settings

UPDATE - looking harder - I also see this, on each of the problem chapter pages:
div.sgc-1 {height:0pt}
what puts that there ?

also from chapter 10 onwards the epub conversion puts each chapter number into its own xhtml file, followed by an xhtml which contains the chapter header text & the chapter text. see example below
don't know how to check if that is in the original mobi ?
Code:
</head>

<body class="calibre">
  <h1 class="calibre1" id="filepos212373">10</h1>
</body>
</html>

Last edited by cybmole; 02-02-2012 at 05:09 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote