View Single Post
Old 07-23-2007, 10:54 AM   #82
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
Nate. Put yourself in her shoes.... You're at a restaurant.. Someone steals money out of your pocket... You catch them at it.. They say, "Hey! I cant get money any other way!"

Or give you some other such baloney excuse to justufy their petty theft...

You'r argument still doesn't hold water. If she doesn't want her art in e book form, thats her right as the creator of that art. Will you justify theft in the physical world (Shoplifting for example) using the same arguments?

The library is a legal institution and therefore under a different set of circumstances entirely.

You are confusing physical items with digital. If I steal something from the store, I am preventing someone else from buying it. This costs the retailer money.

If I download a copy of an illicit ebook, I am not stopping anyone else from buying the paper edition. I am not even stopping anyone from buying the ebook in this case because it cannot be bought.

You keep saying that I am removing money from her pocket by downloading the ebook. Please explain how I can give her money for the ebook. I can't! She will not accept it.

If you can explain how I can give her money for the ebook copy (other than buying a paper copy), then I will concede the argument.

P.S. I just want to make clear that I have no illegal ebooks, music, etc. I am entirely opposed to stealing them. But I am taking the opposite position on this argument because everyone talks about stealing from JK Rowling when she won't take the money!