View Single Post
Old 12-31-2006, 05:06 AM   #13
markiehill
Connoisseur
markiehill doesn't littermarkiehill doesn't litter

I am well aware of torrent and binary newsgroups, but this is hardly stuff thats available to everybody, to most people downloading divx or other formats and getting this to play on their player (not laptop), is far to much hassle.

If you browse fictionwise you will find that a lot of popular and new books are in the secured format. Any authors that i am interested in reading are only provided in secure format. When you are a struggling new author the trick is to get as many people to read your work as possible (this is why sites like this work for the author) as you become primetime then the switching to the secured format ensures your revenue and the payback for your hardwork.

Quote from fictionwise below....

Why does Fictionwise make this distinction?

The MultiFormat eBooks cover a wider variety of reading devices and platforms, but because they are not encrypted, many large trade publishers will not allow their eBooks to be sold in these formats.

While we prefer to offer eBooks in MultiFormat, we need to support secure formats that prevent unauthorized copying to give our members the widest possible selection, including national best-selling authors.

Anyway at the end of the day we can agree to differ, but a book is hardly multiformat either and if you damage the media you are not entitled to a new one, at least with an open and flexible DRM model you could redownload what you might have deleted by accident.

If writing does not bring rewards then authors willl stop writing especially if their work does not have some form of protection. You cannot rely on peoples honesty to feed your kids, pay your mortgage.

Expecting them to give you carte blanche with their work to me just sounds wrong.

Mark
markiehill is offline   Reply With Quote