View Single Post
Old 12-28-2006, 05:55 AM   #3
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by markiehill
1) The fragile nature of the screen.
This is an inherent problem with displays right now. eInk, LCD, etc. Time will correct this.

Note that hardened versions of the screens can be made - for significantly higher cost.

Quote:
2) Lack of multi format support (pdb,txt,html,rtf) etc.
pdb is a Palm Database and not an eBook format.

PalmDOC is easily convertible to text.
Text is easily convertible to HTML.
RTF is easily convertible to PDF and HTML.

The iLiad supports HTML quite well.

Quote:
3) Slow pace of development
As much as I'd like them to improve my iliad, I believe that their pace of development is appropriate for the market. The demand simply isn't there yet to spend lots of money on development.

Quote:
4) No support from Mobipocket or similar provider.
Mobipocket is a closed, proprietary format and should be avoided at all costs.

Quote:
5) Lack of search
I believe this is on their list to add soon.

Quote:
6) Bugs, (page bar, loss of scribbles on occasion) to name a few.
"All non-trivial programs contain at least 1 bug."
Just be glad the iLiad doesn't run Windows.

Quote:
7) High cost.
I have to agree with you on this one. The iLiad is the Cadillac of eBook readers right now and I believe that the market will demand a Chevrolet. But right now the people buying eBook readers are the first adopters who usually pay the high price for the newest tech.

I believe that iRex will come out with a more inexpensive reader with fewer options.

Quote:
I understand that this is a device in development, but quite frankly it has been in development far too long...
Seeing as how the market isn't developed yet, it makes sense that the device isn't finished yet.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote