View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #11510
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_phoenix View Post
I had a problem with a line freezing in an apartment. I would have to use a hair dryer to thaw out the line. As far as I know it never sprung a leak. The only way I could keep it from happening was to run the water very slightly, think a dripping tap, to keep the water flowing/moving through the line on really cold nights. I cannot remember if it was the hot water or cold water line.

Good luck. I hope it works out okay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
What red said:
1. Use a hair dryer carefully - NOT a small acetylene torch. Many people accidentally set their houses on fire that way.
2. Let water drip all night when the temps dip - hot water lines freeze faster than cold lines [someone will probably explain the physics of this] - the water bill is a small price to pay for hot water.
3. Insulate the line in the crawl space - foam pipe wrap is fairly cheap.
Thanks to you both. Last night I went crawling in my crawl space with a flash light and a borrowed electric hand hair dryer and solved the problem. This is the first time in all the years that I have had the problem. I think it was a combination of the days of very cold temperatures combined with almost no snow on the ground. Snow around the foundation seems to act as a decent layer of insulation.