View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Why not just tag the books for that author "FavoriteAuthor" then search for that tag or tag the books "FavoriteSeries" and then search for that tag (and save the search)? I tag with "ToRead" to indicate it's a specific book I want to read (later), but you can do it at the series or author level, instead of at the book level, if you prefer.
I've tried that tag approach for this but to be honest I just don't like it for this purpose. Absolutely I use a "Read" type tag if I spot an individual book that I want to highlight. However there are times where you want to work at a "level higher" than "per book" level which is the issue with tags. For instance if I want to read a series that has 20 books in it, either you have to remember to apply that tag to every book (and any new ones in the series you add over time), or you apply it to the first one and then do extra search steps to get all the books in that series when it comes time to make use of it.

Similarly I am still trying to consolidate my various book collections into Calibre and are working through author by author to update metadata, resolve duplicates, find better formats, create wishlist books for missing entries etc. So I am recording per author that I am "done" with them. I was doing this in a spreadsheet, but instead adding these to a user category list will work better than adding yet more tags across every book?

I think the tag viewer works well when you have a relatively small subset, which user categories allows you to make, and lets me drill into stuff with just a couple of clicks rather than typing search queries and sorting/scrolling through results to drill down to the same effect.

Lots of ways to skin the cat, one of the great features of Calibre
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote