View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #21250
Ravenswd
Enthusiast
Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 7"
Just here to grumble and complain about how the internet, as a whole, is useless as a research tool.

I'm trying to write an article about online publishing. My article contains this sentence:

"The first ebook readers appeared on the market in 1992, but they didn't gain popularity until 2008, because"

There's nothing after the "because" because I don't know what should go there. Nobody seems to have the answer to this. No-one even addresses the question.

After a while, I decided to simply assume (bad reporting here: I'm making things up and passing it off as research) that before then there was no content available for download because of DRM issues. So I look up the history of DRM on ebooks...

...and I can't find anything about that, either. Everything I can find talks about the current state of DRM only, not the history of it or how we got here.

I'm trying very hard not to simply quote Chuckie Finster and end my article with:

"Why did it happen? How did it happen? Nobody knows."
Ravenswd is offline   Reply With Quote