View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #62
JohnGalt
Enthusiast
JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
This article , which came out in May 2011, seems prescient but says a lot that's controversial . Excerpt:

LINK

There's a lot there-books in the cloud, the end of the eink Kindle, ad-supported books. Read the article and tell me what you think of this vision of the future.
What is the obsession "the cloud?" When I pay for a file, I want a file that I can own and control. On the cloud, you own and control nothing! I make some exceptions - Netflix, for instance, which I see as pull-driven competitor to push-driven telesion media. However, the people out there looking forward to the day that they have an empty console with no onwership rights to any programs and entrust the privacy and security of their data to a third party (which the most superficial examination of the current climate on rights to privacy ought to give one pause - CISPA, for example.) People are embracing the loss of property rights and privacy in their computing, and not really gaining much of anything in the exchange. Why?
JohnGalt is offline   Reply With Quote