View Single Post
Old 05-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Unfortunately, using names for devices opens pandora's box. We would be immediately faced with (inundated with) requests to track contents by device, to queue news to specific devices, to manage collections by device (at least for sonys), to configure plugins by device, configure libraries by device, save preferences by device, and a host of other things. It is easier to do nothing than to deal with the problem. In effect, "no good deed goes unpunished". I've been there and done that, and am not interested in going there again.

Up to now, no developer has felt enough personal need for the feature to be willing to deal with the hassle. I know that I don't need it, even though I have two Sony 300s. I would rather work on things that I use or on things that are for some reason intellectually challenging.

If someone is interesting in taking this on, then I would be happy to explain how to get and set calibre's device_info record that is stored on each device, and to provide pointers into calibre's device management to deal with the issues that will arise. In the past, Kovid's position has been that he will accept such code if he is convinced that the changes are useful (don't think that would be an issue), and (important here) he is convinced that the contributor will be stay around to maintain the changes.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote