View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #1348
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Aislin View Post
I've recently run into the problem of a story being on two different sites (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8843117/1/ , http://archiveofourown.org/works/612...apters/1104270). It has the same title and same author, although one site has an extra chapter. When I tried to get the story from AO3 it tried to overwrite the FFN version which had more chapters. I don't usually notice when a story is updated. I only noticed because I knew that I had not gotten this story from AO3. If I had continued to get the story from AO3, I would have lost a chapter.
I don't know how you got to that situation.

If you do an 'epub update' or 'update always', FFDL will refuse to update an existing epub that has more chapters than the site does.

So either you're trying to do an overwrite--which *can* overwrite an existing with more chapters (sometimes authors consolidate chapters), or you saw the Yes/No/ViewLog box and didn't realize that it said it *wouldn't* update it.

I suppose I could add an optional feature to only update books with matching URL, not title/author. But that could easily lead to duplicate books.

Or a different (optional?) feature, acting a bit like the reject list feature, to ask the user to confirm when an update/overwrite would change the story URL.

Do either of those ideas appeal to anyone?