Thread: Linux support?
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2009, 01:51 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlorine View Post
One (last, I hope) question, if you can bear with me: I understand that if I'm willing to remove the drm from commercial ebooks I can do this for the mobipocket and ereader formats, and then read these books on any reading device (after converting).
Is this also true for, for instance, the epub format used by the sony devices?
A DRM-free ePub can be converted to MOBI (with the loss of some advanced formatting features) by Calibre. However, the DRM can't currently be stripped from Secure Adobe ePubs (and most ePubs you buy have DRM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlorine View Post
(the choice of a device supporting mobipocket is easy for me, since the Hanlin seems not to be sold in France and the Iliad/Digital reader are too large and too expensive for my purpose, this leaves me with the Cybook).
The Cybook is a good choice, but you should be able to buy a BeBook (Hanlin V3) from France. The Cybook probably has better MOBI support than the BeBook, but the latter supports many more formats natively and can also run the Open Source OpenInkPot firmware (only DRM-free formats, but a hackable Linux-based project). OpenInkPot may eventually also be available for the Cybook.

See EZ Reader: Initial Impression for my review of the Hanlin V3.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote