View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014, 10:48 AM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I honesty don't know - he's an author who, although enormously popular in the early decades of the 20th century, has simply faded into obscurity today. As you say, it's a great pity; I think his books are excellent.
I think it's Agatha Christie's fault in a way. She was also writing in the early part of the 20th century (and kept on doing so right til the 1970's I believe). Anyway her work is so well regarded that other writer's works perhaps are compared to her's and found wanting. That's just a guess though and I could be wrong. The only exception I can think of to that is of course Sherlock Holmes. Ask anyone to name the 3 greatest fictional detectives and they are likely to name Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote