View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 07:22 AM   #32
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I don't care for the characterization 'fully functional' as it implies that what works for one works for all. For me, most of the time, I need two screens to be fully functional. This new tablet is a content consumption device with limited ability to do other things -- just like the kindle and just like the ipad.

This is simply Microsoft executing on their vision of a single operating system for every possible use of computer hardware. Phone, tab, laptop, and desktop all work the same. Apps developed for one can easily be ported to the others.

Some people will still be scratching their heads when Windows 8 becomes the most popular tablet and phone OS. Others will still be insisting it hasn't really happened or that it really doesn't matter.

People bring a lot of preference/bias/advocacy to the computer discussion. Some people are going to like this right away. Others may get one later when they get used to Win8 and its apps. More will grab one as a bigger, better version of their phone.
I can understand the principal but for me it just doesn't work. My laptop is vertical it stands in front of me and I use a mouse to work it for precision.

My tablet lays in front of me or I'd held in my hand and I use my finger to work it.

They are not the same device, they don't need all the same applications. Stuff I do on my Laptop just can't be done on a tablet, certainly not when I run an iTunes that has 180gb of stuff in it. I don't want 'cloud' for everything, cloud is back up only. I want my own base system, and that is a PC. Tablets, phones etc they are devices than run off the base system, not instead of it.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote