View Single Post
Old 05-10-2009, 05:09 AM   #1
Grimulkan
Lord
Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Q1 (on way out), PRS505, DR1000S (dead :<), TC1100 (10'' perfection!)
Coping with capacitive buttons

I know some people out there have expressed annoyance over the capacitive buttons. I myself find them a little too easily excitable and they interfere with the way I hold my DR. Even if I lock some of the sensors, I need to rest my finger outside the active sensor range and then move my finger each time I want to scroll to the next page, check too see if I actually activated the thing, hope I didn't do a 5-page scroll, etc. This might seem like nit-picking, but the entire reading process needs to be smooth and page changes nearly involuntary. Here are some thoughts on circumventing/converting the buttons:

1. Place artificial buttons on top of the capacitive ones: We could place ordinary buttons that either brought the finger close enough to the capacitive sensor to activate it when pressed, or interrupted the field around the capacitive sensor. Anyone know what else besides a human finger activates the capacitive buttons?
I tried touching them with various metal objects (while in contact with the object), but it didn't work. This should ground the field, but I'm guessing that the detection thresholds are particularly adjusted for the human body or something. Perhaps the shape/size of contact matters as well.
An empty plastic medical pill blister works as a button. This actually brings the human finger close enough to interrupt the field when depressed. There are probably other household items that work, or buttons that can be bought at hardware stores. Ideas?
2. Use the Wacom pen button: The more advanced styli come with an extra button. If this can be accessed, we could assign this to a page scroll. The pen has to be close to the DR surface for the button press to register though, not sure how close. Of course, software would need to be written.

Other thoughts:
3. Actually replace the buttons in hardware: We'd need more information before we do anything like this, and many people will not want to open up their DR.
4. Mouse or other device via USB: Neat idea, but we'll need to figure out how to access the USB hardware etc.
Grimulkan is offline   Reply With Quote