View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #21
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
"Thousands of dollars to run a PDF through Calibre??!!??!!?? PT Barnum was right - "A sucker born every minute"....not to mention those willing to take advantage of them....sad
It's a dreadful story. This poor elderly man was taken advantage of by two scam artists, one allegedly an "editor" (who did nothing but transcribe his dictation, and then also charged him $850 for "helping" the layout person layout his book), and then the layout guy charged him $2500 for a layout in INDD plus two ebooks, and this book was DEAD SIMPLE. One paragraph of text after another, with some images in clumps. $850 for a wraparound cover design.

Total between the two? Nearly $6,000.00. SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS. My charge to fix his ePUB, and make a working mobi? $125, because I couldn't bring myself to charge him the time it would really take to fix it.

And, no, I'm not a sucker, but I know this guy, and this was a rotten thing for someone to do to him. Nicest guy on the planet. Was he a sucker? Maybe, but just because someone isn't sophisticated is no reason to rip them off.

H
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote