View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 07:59 AM   #18
phacdelm
phacdelm began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftheworld View Post
As for the issues you're having, would you mind elaborating? I might be able to figure it out, or start working on a fix.
The other issue was the lack of Market support: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=155164

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftheworld View Post
the Vox is very much an Android device. The lack of market support is Google's fault, not Kobo's.
Maybe I'm being a bit harsh ... but I'm coming at this with an Android phone (LG Google Shine Plus) as my only 'droid device. I was totally shocked that the basic Google Apps (Gmail, Listen, etc.) aren't there; that they advertize Facebook, but it's only the website; that all apps have to be side-loaded b/c of no Market, etc.

I'm a software developer, so I'm no tech idiot ... but if I have to start rooting the device to get what I consider the baseline features of an Android device, I'm going to get a bit gnarly.

Maybe I'm a bit off on my expectations - so I'd appreciate some pointers to info on how this is Google's issue rather than Kobo's.

My bottom line is this: I bought it to give to my daughter for her 10th birthday. The "eReader" was a secondary consideration to fact that this is a lower-priced basic tablet. I was willing to compromise on the camera and some of the bells and whistles ... I just didn't realize how much device configuration control would be giving up.

It's a show-stopper. If I can't remove apps that I don't want my 10 year old to have (Rdio, Facebook "icon app", etc.) and get the very basic protection of ensuring the apps that she can install come from the Market ... without voiding the warranty (given the other issues out there re/ wifi sleep locking the device) ... then this is NOT the device for me, it's going back.

Last edited by phacdelm; 11-04-2011 at 08:18 AM. Reason: typos
phacdelm is offline   Reply With Quote