View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
TBH, I'm not always aware of where writers are from. And the list linked is far from non-English-speaking - last time I checked, we speak English here in Australia too...

The first on my list is the only non-Anglophone author, but I read in English so it's necessarily skewed towards books published in English and therefore Anglophone authors.

My read list:
Sergei Lukyanenko (Russia) - I was horrified that the description on the cover of this was "Russian Harry Potter". Not even close. This is SO much better. (No, I am not a Harry Potter fan.)
Guy Gavriel Kay (Canada) - one of my favourites, historical fantasy.
Ekaterina Sedia (Russia/US) - I started Secret History of Moscow but due to other distractions didn't get to finish it before it had to go back to the library. But it was very promising and it's still on the TBR virtual pile.

The rest are all Australian
Isobelle Carmody - if only she would finish the Obernewtyn series! I read the first one when it came out over 20 years ago and still waiting for the series end.
Greg Egan - classic SF
Marianne de Pierres - I preferred the Parrish Plessis series to the Dark Space series
Simon Haynes - who is a member here...
Sean McMullen
Shannah Jay
Juliet Marillier
Jennifer Fallon
Gillian Rubinstein
Matthew Reilly - he described his work as thinly disguised fantasy quests in a recent panel discussion

I'm sure there's more that I've read and am just not aware of their nationality. I just noticed that I have not read any Kiwi authors and now I can't think of any!
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote