View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #268
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Why not use ubuntu all the time and run windows in virtual box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathansuchy View Post
Thats what I do way more secure.

I am running a 32-bit Windows XP VirtualBox VM on 64-bit Linux Mint (an Ubuntu distro), as I have mentioned in various threads.

comodin said here that he is running a windows VM (parallels) on OSX (on a Mac).

Because your reply does not contain a quote to establish context, who is your recommendation to run Windows in a VM meant for?

I try to provide solutions for all popular host PC operating systems. I do not recommend that people permanently change their host PC operating system, just to make kindle debricking easier. However, I like virtualbox because it seamlessly lets me connect and disconnect the virtual USB port, so that the kindle does not drop out of fastboot mode when switching between the Windows VM (for MfgTool) and linux fastboot on the host PC. Even so, I use win32 fastboot these days and just stay in windows when debricking my kindles...

And security is mostly an illusion (even in a VM) because of "phone home" apps that can easily bypass any "security" in the VM. Even linux (especially Ubuntu, which was designed for beginners), is not that locked down out of the box, until you lock it down yourself.

Real security means having only an internal network LAN, and an external internet (for email and web access) with NO connections between them. In secure installations, people use two computers, one for internet access and the other for internal network access. No software can guarantee security if there is any wired or wireless connection path between the two networks. Even network PRINTERS have been compromised to provide a reverse proxy into supposedly secure networks.

Printer hack: http://www.techspot.com/news/46462-h...e-updated.html

Even lithium-ion battery firmware has been hacked.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-01-2012 at 09:57 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote