Thread: Touch Kobo Touch Firmware 2.0
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #1232
scoobertron
Connoisseur
scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Are you having margin problems with epubs from feedbooks.com? Because personally, I've found them to be some of the best "behaved" epubs on the internet.
Kind of. To test it I downloaded a free book from kobo (The Redeemers by Micheal Scott Miller). On opening it, I found that the text was much bigger, it was double line spaced and the margins were wider. I tweaked the settings to get it to my preferred text size and margin width (the line spacing slider was already at the lowest point, so it looked like I was stuck with that). Opening my current feedbooks book (Moby Dick), the text was tiny and there were no margins at all.

I don't know why this would be the case, it is probably due to the css on one or the other book (I suspect the kobo book has a margin set, which is then added to the margin set on the device - thus making an extra-large margin, for example).

One thing which is for sure though, is that it would be a real pain in the ass if I wanted to read the two books in parallel because every time I opened each book I would need to play with the page setup to get it how I prefer. When I noticed a similar issue the first time, it was just the margin that was different, but this time the contrast was really stark, in order to have readable sized text in Moby Dick, I had to set the font in the other book so the letters were about 10mm high. In my opinion, the device should be able to override any css in the book so the text always appears the same - rather than needing to change it for each book individually. (Actually, I am suprised that epubs set things like text sizes at all - I feel that it would be much better if the text style was all handled by the reader, and the epub just told the reader what each bit of text was - a heading, body text etc. - but I am sure someone more intelligent than me made that decision for reasons opaque to me).

Incidentally, I know I could use calibre to change the page settings for my library wholesale (though I am not sure if this works with books bought from kobo) - but I prefer not to run it, and as long as I am working through the feedbooks catalogue, it is not really a problem for me.

Last edited by scoobertron; 09-12-2012 at 04:19 PM.
scoobertron is offline   Reply With Quote