View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #581
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
Okay, I have some very specific requests which many people won't care about but which would make the Kobo readers (Glo, Aura, etc.) much better school companions.

1. Notes in epubs/kepubs: Right now when I look at notes that I have made on I have to go to the notes section where it will show me my highlights and note but only the first few words in the cases where I highlight a long sentence (let alone a long paragraph) or write an extensive note. So I have to select it and then it will show me the note/highlight.

What I would like would be a way to look at my notes/highlights all together in their entirety as if I had made them in a notebook. You know, scroll through them without having having just the previews.

2. Secondly I understand that Kobo has its PDF rendering engine and that it is limited (I get the impression that it just creates an image of each page then shows it) and that we cannot search in them and that we cannot highlight the words in the pdf but I feel that only being able to "dog ear" the pages is a bit too limited. Yes, we cannot highlight words to attach notes but couldn't we attach notes to pages instead of words?

3. Now two more having to do with the dictionaries, one of which I'm sure has been mentioned previously, the ability to install more dictionaries. I currently have the Merriam Webster's unabridged dictionary on my cell phone and tablet, but I like not having to turn on a second device to look up a word. I would gladly be willing to pay for the dictionaries. Maybe you could offer a combo deal, if you buy the dictionary as a book, you can install it for looking up words within books (I recognize this would require working out a deal with the dictionary providers). I know I could install free/open source dictionaries but either they are old (the unabridged dictionary from about a hundred years ago) and therefore lack a smidge of the newer words or they are generally not as comprehensive in the case of the open source ones.

4. The second one is that I would like the reader to remember my dictionary preferences (and if it could remember them on a per book basis even better). What I mean is if I look up a word in the german dictionary I would like it to keep it, and if I use the translation dictionary then I'd like it so that every time I select a word it would automatically show me the word in that translation dictionary until I choose otherwise. The reason for this is two fold: one is when I am reading books in my native tongue but which include foreign words so the only times I'm using the dictionary function is for foreign words (i.e. where there are German or Russian characters who occassionally say something in their own tongue but is not translated and I want to know what it means without running to the computer, this also makes me wish there was a Latin dictionary sometimes...) and the second is when I am reading in a foreign language in which I am fluent yet still lacking vocabulary when it comes to literary/technical texts.

5. Finally I would like the ability to use paypal to buy books directly from the device, if I can do it on the webpage, why not on my Glo? I understand that maybe for this to work we would need to use the experimental/beta/whatever you wanna call it web browser but you could set it up as an option deep within the settings if you want to avoid complaints. I'd prefer not to dig out my tablet/phone, or worse, turn on the computer, just to buy a book. On the bright side this keeps down my impulse buying.
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote