Thread: App Wishlist
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010, 07:45 AM   #12
cleber
cleber began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
japanese word look up

thank you for replying, osnova.

It is a good suggestion, but I am sorry I think I was not very clear on what I would like to see implemented in Kindle.

I would like that kindle recognizes the Japanese word in a e-book the same way it does when you put the cursor at the beginning of an English word. Since Japanese texts usually do not separate words with spaces, this feature might involve some rewriting of the look up algorithm.

By the way, I sent an e-mail to Amazon support asking them about the inclusion of this feature in a future firmware release:

"
Comments:I am very happy with my Kindle 3, specially because I can read Japanese texts on it. However, I have been looking for a Japanese to English dictionary for Kindle without success.

So I tried to make my own dictionary using EDICT (a free J-E dictionary) and Mobipocket Creator. I set my dictionary as the default one, but the "word look up" feature has not worked.

I would like to know whether the Kindle firmware is able to look up Japanese words or there is some limitation; which should explain the lack of a Japanese dictionary.

In case the present Kindle software does not support Japanese look up, I would appreciate if you consider to add this feature in a future firmware update.

Thank you.

Cleber
"

Answer:

"
Hello,

Thanks for writing about adding the Japanese to English dictionary feature in the Kindle.

Currently, we don't have this feature on the Kindle, but I've forwarded your suggestions to the Kindle Team who'll carefully review your suggestions and make updates to the Kindle for the convenience of our customers.

Customer feedback like yours helps us continue to improve the service we provide, and we're glad you took time to write to us

Thanks for your interest in Kindle.

Thank you for your recent inquiry. Did I solve your problem?
"

What bugs me a bit is that there were big news about Amazon introducing kindle to Japan and seeking to get a slice of the Japanese e-book reader market and they didn't stop to think that a J-E dictionary look up system would be a minimum required feature.
cleber is offline   Reply With Quote