View Single Post
Old 01-14-2007, 03:27 PM   #1
kickaha
kickaha began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500 / Palm Tungsten T5
For the linux users in the crowd

Hi all.

I am a Linux user (gentoo and ubuntu), and try to avoid windows for anything that cannot be done without it (quicken and turbo tax).

I guess I have to add the Sony Connect bookstore to that list.

I encapsulate my windows environment into a Vmware virtual machine, so I have better control over how it acts, and can leave it safely turned off most of the time.

I just wanted to let anyone who has been considering a Sony reader, but who is a non-windows user* like me, that the Connect software works perfectly well inside a virtual machine. I found that I had to restart vmware with the reader plugged in so it would show up in the list of usb devices so that I could attach it to the vm, but after that, I was able to browse the store, set up my account and authorized my reader, and purchase a few books. (It would be nice if there was a better selection of computer books, but then, I'm a nerd...)

I'm loving my reader, and now I'm looking forward to using it with 'real' books, as well as the raft of technical whitepapers I've converted over to carry with me.

* linux user, that is. I understand the Connect software can be run using Parallels under OS X, as well, but I havent' seen that.
kickaha is offline   Reply With Quote