View Single Post
Old 01-18-2009, 08:26 PM   #3
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by drazzy View Post
Love these novels, definitely among my favorites, but apart from them, I've never really delved deeper into the historical fiction 'genre'. So, if anyone has any recommendations at all (medieval era is perhaps the most interesting to me, personally - but a good story is a good story no matter what the time period!) I'd love to hear them. Being a mass consumer of mostly speculative fiction, it'd be a welcome change for sure.
My personal favorites are "The Game of Kings" (16th century Scotland and Europe) and "Niccolo Rising" (15th century Europe) by Dorothy Dunnett, "Master and Commander" (18th Century Europe and England) by Patrick O'Brian, "Scaramouche" (French Revolution) by Rafael Sabatini, "The Pillars of the Earth" (12th Century England) by Ken Follett, Alan Mallinson's "A Close Run Thing" (1815) and Sharon Kay Penman's "The Queen's Man" (12th Century England). Not to mention the historically based Alexandre Dumas novels of which there are 5 or 6 depending on how the 3rd one is published (as one book or two). Anyway, the Dumas D'Artagnon books begin with The Three Musketeers and end with The Man in the Iron Mask.

I also like Lindsey Davis's roman mysteries and Steven Scarrow's roman adventures.

Historical Novel Society has a list of nominations here, might find something that interests you. http://www.historicalnovelsociety.org/nominations.html
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote