View Single Post
Old 06-29-2013, 01:52 AM   #22733
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Never let 'em know.
That's something I learned the hard way, although it wasn't petsitting but computer tinkering and; before I passed the exams: translating.

I'm not saying you should take ammounts professional service providers do, but regardless WHAT you do; never work for a tip - the outcome is - QED, that people start thinking (may be even a subconscious thing) the do YOU a favour providing you with occupation you like.

I' m not saying you gotta financially kick them in the balls - but most people need to feel your effort in their wallet or they'll not appreciate it. Simple as that.

There are rare cases I make exceptions: if the people in question are REALLY poor - that usually means assembling a "best possible" PC from two or three abandoned ones they can get for free from others.
In these case I keep the leftover parts as 'payment' (and use them up as repair replacement parts for others who can't afford new stuff)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Just because a worker likes their job doesn't mean they're not worth their pay!
You're both right. However, we've never discussed getting paid and I hate conflict so I'm hesitant to start now.

Also, to be honest, I wouldn't mind if they find someone else to look after the dog. Their previous dog also had the tendency to bark at other dog and pull on the leash (in what she considered her territory) she listened. Luca, however, doesn't listen. She's a sweet dog inside, but outside it's very hard to control her once she's seen another dog or cat. I've discussed this with her owner and he admits that he would never trust her off the leash. I know he will never train her because (subconsciously) he thinks it's cool for a dog to bark at other animals and pull on the leash.

Second, the way she reacts when I tell them I can't dogsit for a weekend (he's fine with that). Both last August and a month ago I couldn't look after Luca because I was on holiday myself. I told them this months in advance but she didn't like it one bit. She thinks she can "book" me from April until the end of September and that I will keep my schedule clean from mid December until the end of January, too. He doesn't mind, especially since I always tell them well in advance of my plans, she only thinks about herself.

But, as I said, I hate conflict, so I'm probably not going to raise the issue of payment now. Maybe next year.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote